Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Mary Witlacil

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Greetings!

Life is too short to spend your time doing anything but living & boredom is definitely a poor excuse not to live.

My name is Mary, and this summer I'm trading my messy room for some panniers (which are essentially saddle bags for you bike) & a home for the road, so I can ride my bike across the U.S.

For many Metro students, the decision to attend Metro State is precursed by hardship and struggle. In many cases, students who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to pursue higher education are presented with that option through Metro's open enrollment policy.

In fact, if it weren't for that policy, I may not have had the chance to go to college. When I was in high school I partied too much. I was afraid that if I missed one opportunity for fun, I'd miss them all.

Because of this attitude I neglected my studies and was forced to graduate a year late from an alternative school. After graduating, instead of wasting any more time, I immediately applied for Metro State.

Without a clear idea of what I wanted to do when I "grew up," I tried a little bit of everything and took more or less classes depending on how much I liked what I tried.
Although, you could definitely say that I have prolonged my college career more than necessary (contrary to what I was hoping to do after finally finishing high school), but I've been able to acurately determine who I was and what I wanted through much personal exploration.

Finally, about a year and a half ago, I formulated a plan and directed my passion towards school in the hopes of joining the Peace Corps in Africa after I've finished my bachelor's and then, after that, seeking my master's in international affairs.

Currently I am a Metro State junior pursuing a major in political science and minors in french and environmental science.