Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Mary Witlacil

Friday, June 30, 2006

Book rant

Since arriving in Denver I've been reading all the books, articles and news that I normally don't have time for, because, normally, I'm reading books, articles and news for classes. I've been lucky at Metro, most of the reading I've done for classes has been enjoyable, because many of the professors I've had care about the students.

Metro isn't a "money" school, it's affordable higher education (say what?!). Yes, it's true, affordable higher education actually exists, it's not just an oxy moron. Many of the professors teach, because they love learning and they want to teach so they can repay the gift of their knowledge. Sure, I've taken some classes with professors that teach from textbooks, but hey, teaching (like most things) is an art that requires practice to perfect.

Spending time amidst so much information is incredible, sometimes I wish I could take the knowledge intraveinously so that I'd have the opportunity to learn constantly. I admit it, I'm a total nerd. I love the smell of book binding glue and freshly sharpened pencils. Judge me if you will, but education and experience are two things no one (except in distopian sci-fi stories) can ever take from you and believe me, knowledge is far sexier than a large bank account.