Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Mary Witlacil

Friday, July 28, 2006

Get into it

When I first started attending Metro, I had little interest in doing more than just attending my classes. Most of my friends were off campus, so I was able to snooze a bit in the student lounges and use my down time to complete assignments. When I first registered, I decided to be an arts major, even though I couldn't really draw. After my first semester I scrapped that plan, deciding that photography was just a hobby and if I decided to study fashion design (the original plan), I'd need to transfer schools - so I registered for classes that would help me grow while fulfilling my core req's.

About a year before the last presidential election, I registered for American National Government and Intro to Philosophy. Both of these classes sparked something in me: a hunger to learn as much about the world, politics and philosophy as possible; and then a need to take action.

Once that spark was ignited I changed majors and decided to simply make clothes in my spare time. I've also gotten involved, on campus and off. Some friends and I created a women's art collective called Luna City, which sadly only had a brief run. Then, Last year I participated in Take Back the Night, which is a women's march to reclaim the streets without fear of sexual assault and was an active member of NARAL Auraria (the National Abortion Rights Action League), among other things. I have also traveled to Cuba (where my friend and I rode our bikes cross country) to understand how Castro's regime was working and how the notion of communism had been whittled down to nothing more than a tool for brain-washing.

Also during the last year, I worked on Campus in the Office of Institutional Advancement with a wonderful group of people who are working hard to make Metro State a better place. I.A. is the office where research, grantwriting, fundraising and scholarships are developed and instituted. They also work hand-in-hand with College Communications (which is how I got the blogging job - thanks guys!) and Alumni Relations. Without the experience of working on campus, I may have never felt confident enough to apply for scholarships nor have gotten to know so many wonderful individuals on campus!

Now, I'll admit, it's dificult to find a moment to snooze on campus & I have to hide to get any homework done, but college has become a much more challenging and enjoyable experience. Besides, the more students you know, the less likely it is you'll take a lousy class.

Basically, prospective students, what I'm trying to tell you is that if you get involved college will be more fun than it is work. When you get involved, you might even be as lucky as Jack, Amber & I, and the powers that be will decry that you deserve a soapbox! Or at the very least you'll know more people to throw water balloons at on those first couple weeks at school.